Barnes & Noble Mgr, Facilities Maintenance in Reno, Nevada
Mgr, Facilities Maintenance
The Maintenance Manager ensures compliance and operational readiness of facility and equipment including preventative maintenance to ensure downtime is minimized. Works thru the Maintenance Supervisors to achieve department goals. Ensures training is completed and ensures high standards of work and safety are maintained.
- Monitors the function and reliability of facility, facility fixtures & equipment and MHE equipment to ensure they are safe and in operable condition; improves function and reliability using supervisor feedback and by studying repetitive issues/historical data and implementing changes as approved.
- Responsible for an accurate inventory of supplies/parts and requisitions to replenish those items needed to maintain safe stock levels and ensure repairs and projects can be completed in a timely manner.
- Leads training efforts on safety and maintenance related topics creates and reviews training records to assure compliance with company policy and compliance regulations.
- Establishes and maintains a computerized invoicing system for tracking work orders, spare parts, suppliers, housekeeping consumables and maintenance history of plant equipment
- Ensures proper supervision and staff are available for housekeeping staff inclusive of ensuring proper supplies and inventory levels are available for the distribution center.
- Accomplishes maintenance objectives while ensuring adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Supports and/or leads cross-functional strategic or process improvement projects.
- Develop proposals and capital requests for necessary building and infrastructure development and upgrades.
- Communicates regularly with Director of Operations, Supervisors and employees at all levels promotes continuity between maintenance and operations and all shifts.
- Communicates with vendors to obtain information and quotes on parts and supplies.
- Reviews schedules to assure proper supervision and staff coverage for operation’s needs, preventative maintenance, and projects, covers shifts as needed or requested by management.
- Review site-specific maintenance procedures and logs to verify proper maintenance is being performed in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Maintains compliance with city, county, state, and federal regulations relating to the maintenance department and facility including securing permits, inspections and submitting data and reports as required.
- Available for shift coverage and emergencies as needed including weekends and 24x7 for emergency situations as determined by management; typically arrives before the start of the shift and leaves after the end of shift may work mid shift for optimal coverage.
- Monitors the health of the facility and systems including remotely when necessary; responds to all requests including direct conversations, email messages, text messages and phone calls promptly and appropriately, anticipates issues to reduce problems or prevent them from happening.
- Practical experience managing and leading a maintenance team in a high volume multi shift distribution center environment including teaching, promoting, and demonstrating safe work techniques.
- Practical experience managing complex projects including multiple vendors
- Works with supervisors and technicians on complex problems, uses troubleshooting guides, internal sources and if needed, vendor support. Must be able to read schematics and drawings as well as follow verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of proper terminology of components, hardware, repair parts and proper use of lifts, meters and tools.
- Ability to stay up to date with technical knowledge of equipment and maintenance procedures by reading technical documentation and participating in training sessions as required.
- Knowledgeable on occupational hazards and corresponding safety precautions and practices necessary for the safe performance of assigned maintenance duties.
• 10 years of maintenance experience including hands on and supervisory with electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, conveyor systems, controls, fire systems & HVAC & emergency response. 3 to 5 years of facility maintenance management experience in 500 thousand square foot or larger distribution center or production facility.
• Proven experience maintaining facilities and equipment, including but not limited to forklifts, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic sorters and conveyor systems.
• Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills including leadership, motivation, coaching, mentoring and writing performance reviews.
• Must have practical experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and knowledge of and ability to learn and use specialized software.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills required to keep organized records and send daily shift updates and monthly updates on projects and progress towards goals.
• Continuous body movement and the ability to stand, sit or crouch for long periods of time, must be able to climb stairs and ladders, work at heights to 45ft and in cramped spaces. Must have the ability to lift, push and pull a minimum of 50 lbs. alone and 100 lbs. with help.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.