Microsoft Corporation Sr. Finance Manager in Reno, Nevada
Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. That’s what inspires us, drives our work and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day. At Microsoft we also work to empower our employees so they can achieve more. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Microsoft’s Finance vision is focused on how business partnership leads to outcomes and how we drive impact. We do this through our core values – People, Prioritization, Partnership and Protect.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced accounting professional to work on a high performing team at a world class company. Microsoft is located in the beautiful Reno/Tahoe area, minutes away from skiing, hiking, and your favorite water sports. The Microsoft Americas Operations Center processes all contracts and licensing revenue for the entire Americas region. If you enjoy a fast pace, combined with complex challenges and ample opportunities to grow your career and make an impact, consider joining our team of revenue recognition experts!
The Revenue Assurance team is responsible for ensuring Microsoft revenue is recognized in accordance with US GAAP requirements. Through analyses and review of customer agreements, while helping to launch new program initiatives and business model changes, our mission is to ensure accuracy of our financials.
Key areas of focus include:
(1) Contract Reviews and Technical Consultations
· Review software and other contractual arrangements in accordance with US GAAP to identify language that may require non-standard accounting treatment.
· Be a subject matter expert providing technical advice to business partners on revenue recognition in order to influence deal structures to maximize revenue for the company.
· Partner with corporate accounting, the corporate licensing group, product business groups, sales teams and operations groups to understand and resolve issues identified in the contractual arrangement reviews.
· Collaborate with counterparts in Dublin and Singapore to identify global issues and establish best practices and consistency.
(2) Implement the New Revenue Recognition Standard, ASC 606 Revenue from Contracts with Customers
· Be on the front line for adoption and implementation of the new global accounting standard.
· Assist with restating revenue recognition at a contract level under the new standard.
(3) Quarter-end Revenue Close Process
· Complete quarter end revenue close including accounting for revenue adjustments.
· Review of monthly reconciliations.
· Assist in all internal or external audit queries on revenue recognition.
· Implement initiatives as needed to enhance control compliance with US GAAP and SOX.
(4) Education and Training
· Improve the understanding of revenue recognition guidelines at Microsoft through regular education sessions, brown bags, summits and newsletters.
· Roll-out implementation of new corporate revenue policies.
· Projects: Subject matter expert to represent AOC Finance in support of global or regional projects. This is accomplished by providing advisory support to ensure compliance with revenue recognition standards.
· SOX: Work closely with the Revenue Cycle process owner for all revenue recognition activities in SOX scope and implement initiatives to enhance controls.
BA/BS degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting
6+ years of related work experience in a large industry or public accounting firm.
Demonstrated strong technical US GAAP knowledge, with emphasis on Software Revenue Recognition and Multiple Element Arrangements.
Demonstrated solid judgment and ability to work on ambiguous issues and come to a reasonable and well-supported conclusion.
Strong planning and organizational skills with ability to work under tight deadlines.
Ability to effectively interact across a broad spectrum of audiences.
Ability to understand complex systems, processes and programs.
Strong Microsoft Office application skills, especially Excel.
Ability to work both independently and as a team player.
CPA strongly preferred.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .