Hodges Transportation, Inc. -Nevada Automotive Test Center Design Engineer in Silver Springs, Nevada
The Design Engineer works under the direct supervision of the Program Manager or Lead Project Engineer, supporting a variety of innovative developmental projects related to ground vehicles and associated systems. The principal role of this individual will be to conduct and supervise the design and analysis of systems and sub systems for current and next generation commercial and military ground vehicle systems. Representative areas requiring development include, but are not limited to: chassis, driveline, suspension, steering, power train, brakes, and armor kits. This individual will be involved in the development of components, systems, and/or complete vehicles. Design projects include modifications and improvements to existing vehicles, as well as development of complete vehicle prototypes. Design scope may include requirements development, market research, performance analysis, concept design, CAD modeling, and oversight of procurement, fabrication, and machining activities.
- Performs vehicle system trade studies and technical research
- Develops concepts for new or improved ground vehicle components and subsystems
- Assists with definition of vehicle performance and functional requirements at the system, subsystem, and component level
- Supports component and system thermal, mechanical and structural analysis and modeling
- Analyzes and evaluates component failures or issues with existing vehicle systems, helps identify probable causes, and suggests modifications and design changes to the affected components or system
- Identifies and selects suppliers and subcontractors, obtains quotations, and initiates purchase orders to support prototype fabrication and integration of the finalized vehicle or subsystem design
- Plans and coordinates prototype fabrication, assembly, and integration of new vehicles or modified vehicle subsystems
- Provides technical information and guidance to technicians supporting assigned design, integration, and testing efforts.
- Assists with vehicle performance and durability testing to validate design
- Generates technical reports and formal design review presentations
- Interfaces effectively on a daily basis with project supervisors, engineers, and technicians.
- Communicates professionally with customers and suppliers through telephone and email correspondence.
- Manages design tasks and provides regular status updates
- Assist with proposal development
- Support development of electrical and controls in support of overall vehicle design and integration
- Creates and modifies CAD 3D models, drawing packages, and supporting technical data
- Performs tests in the field in extreme temperature and/or environmental conditions.
- Operates Company vehicles in support of test operations.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 5 years experience in an engineering design role.
- Able to work in excess of 40 hours per week.
- Familiarity with automotive fundamentals and vehicle systems.
- Knowledge of general design standards.
- Familiarity with material selection and manufacturing processes (machining, forming, welding, etc.)
- Capable of receiving DoD security clearance.
- Able to obtain and maintain a valid Nevada Driver's License.
- Must be able to occasionally travel to support project requirements
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Familiarity with 3D CAD modeling techniques and software
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Must possess excellent organization and time management skills.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills and be effective working within multidisciplinary teams.
- Able to manage multiple design tasks.
- Able to establish effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors and the public.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must be flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
- Master's degree in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering.
- Knowledge of Government and automotive design standards.
- Experience with Pro/ENGINEER or similar CAD modeling software packages.
- Experience with Nastran or similar FEA software packages.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Experience with data acquisition and analysis.
AAP/EEO Statement: Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors.
Individuals with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Notify the Human Resources Manager if you require any accommodation (s) to perform any of the essential functions of this position.
Additional Duties: This position is not limited to those duties in the job description. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced, or deleted to meet the business needs of Hodges Transportation, Inc./NATC. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
At Will Employment: All employees of this Company are employees at will and, as such, are free to resign at any time without reason. The Company, likewise, retains the right to terminate an employee's employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this document or any other document provided to the employee is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Any salary figures provided to an employee in annual or monthly terms are stated for the sake of convenience or to facilitate comparisons and are not intended and do not create an employment contract for any specific period of time.
Nevada Automotive Test Center is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) values a diverse workforce and as an Equal Opportunity Employer, NATC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status legally protected by Federal, State, or Local law. NATC assures you that your opportunity with this Company depends solely on your qualifications and other job-related factors.